Project Wonderful ad

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Artistic Disagreement 1

Edited 10/15/2016 to censor ableist langauge.
 
Here's something that has been bugging me recently. When I read reviews for movies or music or whatever else, there's someone who says something to the effect of  "whoever likes this is a m*ron" or "if you don't like this, then I don't want to know you."

So what you're saying is if someone disagrees with your opinion on this, they're wrong and what's more, they're st*pid. Why? We aren't talking about some big religious or moral issue. In real life, would you really end a friendship because they didn't happen to like your favorite movie?

I admit I do have some problems with this. When I see dislikes on YouTube for a song I enjoy, I have to remind myself those people have a right to not love this. Because sooner or later, I'll end up being the one who decides I'd rather hear something else.

All movies, TV shows, songs, books, and pictures are some form of art (some considered lower than others). All art has a purpose, whether it's to scare you, make you think about something carefully, or just to get you to spend 20 dollars. And not everyone has the same opinion on everything. I'll put it this way:It's a fact to say a movie got good reviews. It is an opinion to say it was a good movie. No matter how many good reviews something gets, there will be someone who doesn't like it. On the flip side, no matter how many bad reviews it gets, somebody's going to love it.

I guess what I'm saying is it's okay to like certain movies and books and such and not like others. But remember that this applies to others as well.

For my second entry about this topic, click here. For the third one, look here.

© 2013 by M.R.R.

No comments: