Project Wonderful ad

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Artistic Disagreement 3:Welcome To My Blog

12/21/2016 update:This post was written long before I had a clue about systematic oppression or ableist language. I've edited the post to remove most of the problematic bits so as to stop any damage they could cause in the future.

I've decided to start off the challenge with something I've taken to calling artistic disagreement.

What it means is we tend to have varying opinions regarding our entertainment choices. And the reason I bring this up both before and now is the legions of obnoxious people who insist their opinion is the right one. Not only that, but if you dare to think otherwise, then according to them, you're a m*ron who should be ignored. (Half the IMDB threads for The Hunger Games are fans and non-fans arguing over who's less intelligent.)

This is something I can't stand. (That, and when reviewers use crude imagery to express their displeasure.) Reviews should not be you saying "Agree with me or else you're st*pid." Because you aren't me. You don't have all my biases and personal preferences. I want to know why you thought it was great or awful. Just saying whoever loves/hates it is wrong tells me only that you're narrow-minded.

There are bad movies. Some have downright messed-up morals. But as I've said before, this isn't an issue of morality.

I'm not going to allow that sort of crap here. So go check out the reviews I've posted (and there will be a few more this month) and feel free to complain about or gush over whatever you want, regardless of what I had to say. But don't be insulting me or other people because we didn't happen to find it as wonderful or sucky as you did. If you can manage that, you'll be fine.

Anyway, most of you are probably visiting my blog for the first time today. Thanks for reading this, and this month during the challenge, I'll be posting mainly rants and reviews. Hope you like it. I probably won't get to moderating comments and posting updates on social media until the afternoon, especially on Mondays.

If this post interested you and you'd like to hear more, you can follow me on Google+ and Twitter. I post pretty much the same stuff on both.

You can read my other rants about this here and here.

© 2014 by M.R.R. All rights reserved.

8 comments:

Susan Kane said...

All have had to deal with that mentality. Arrrgh.

Glenda Cates said...

Thank you and I agree everyone should be able to say what they like and not be made to agree with anyone else.

L.G. Keltner said...

You have hit upon one of the largest reasons for disagreements on the internet, and I thank you for bringing it up. If I love something, I may passionately talk about why I love it, but I'm not going to berate someone who disagrees. One may get into a healthy debate as long as there is mutual respect shown, but once name-calling gets thrown into the mix, the whole exchange becomes toxic. We are all indeed different, and that's a good thing. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same.

Kevyn Knox said...

Reviewers who perceive themselves as the arbiters of taste, just piss me the hell of. I have been writing film reviews, semi-professionally (ie, mostly unpaid, but still well published) since 1998, and even though I, of course, put my own beliefs in the forefront, I have always tried to make sure that I don't just say you are an idiot for liking or disliking something, but instead put forth the reasons why I like or dislike something. Okay, I can drop a film snob attitude now and again, but overall, I am a fair critic.

So anyhoo. See ya 'round the A to Z playground.

Check me out: All Things Kevyn

Timothy Brannan said...

Looking forward to seeing what you post!

--
Timothy S. Brannan
The Other Side, April Blog Challenge: The A to Z of Witches

M.R. R. said...

@Susan Kane
Yes, and it's annoying.

@Glenda Kates
You're welcome!

@L.G. Keltner
Exactly. Varying opinions make things interesting and I do tend to rant when I don't like something.

@Kevyn Knox
I review stuff much the same way.

@Timothy Brannan
Thanks.

Stephanie K said...

I like that phrase, artistic disagreement. And IMDB is full of things I don't agree with, but that doesn't mean it is stupid.
With that sentiment from you, I look forward to following your blog. :)

M.R. R. said...

@ Stephanie K
Thanks. I needed some kind of name for it. Glad you like it.