Project Wonderful ad

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Expressions That Don't Make Sense

There are a lot of different expressions people love to use. But some just leave you scratching your head if you actually think about them.

  • Easy as shooting fish in a barrel. How would you know how easy it is to do this?
  • People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I have no idea what this is even supposed to mean.
  • The tables have turned. How did this start?
  • Easy as taking candy from a baby. Again with the "easy" expressions. And again, how would you know how easy this is? Have you had to take sweets from an infant? And if you've tried, I'm not sure it would actually be very easy to do.
  • It's the best thing since sliced bread. I'd bet you there have been a lot of inventions and scientific breakthroughs since the invention of pre-sliced bread that are better.
  • Clear as a bell. A bell is clear?
  • You can't have your cake and eat it too. This doesn't even make sense. If you have your cake, it most likely means you're eating it.
  • Clean as a whistle. How clean is a whistle? And how would you know? Does "whistle" mean something else than what I'm thinking of?
  • Hates his guts. This means that you loathe someone. But why the guts and not something else?
  • Kids, don't try this at home. Why just at home? Why not "Don't try this at all because it's a bad idea?"

Did I miss any?

© 2014 by M.R.R.

5 comments:

Crystal Collier said...

LOL! Only about a hundred thousand other idioms. I love them. Their history is rich and often comical. I had to look into some of it while working on a novel set in 1768--to check the accuracy of the language in the time period--and I was blown away by the number of them used in all ages. We like our silly phrases.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Okay, you've got me hooked! Your brain is apparently as wrapped as mine. You are my first new follow I am actually excited about!
Barbara
Life & Faith in Caneyhead

M.R. R. said...

@ Crystal Collier
Yes we do.

@Barbara In Caneyhead
Yeah, I am kind of warped. I'm flattered you like my writing.

thelmaz said...

Cute. What about easy peasey. Are peas easy in some way?
Visiting from the A to Z Challenge. Hope you'll visit back. www.widowsphere.blogspot.com

M.R. R. said...

@ thelmaz
That's a good one. Didn't think about that.