Project Wonderful ad

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Things Google Could Improve

Since I regularly use Google sites, I have a few things to say about them. Here are things they could stand to work on. I'm not going to make a separate section for Google+, since all my complaints about that can be categorized with the other sites.

YouTube
Unliking playlists:In order to unlike a playlist, you have to go back to the list itself and click the like button again. If the playlist was deleted, then you're out of luck.
Popular on YouTube:There is currently no option to permanently remove YouTube's popular videos from appearing in "What to watch." It will disappear for a while, but it will soon show up again.
Requiring Google+:Now to create a channel or even comment on videos, you need a Google+ account. Does Google honestly think this will stop all the nasty comments?
Safety Mode:I understand filtering out potential inappropriate videos and hiding comments. I don't understand why I can't see certain videos on user profiles with safety mode on, even if it let me watch that video without problems.
Recommendations:I don't mind seeing channels I might like appearing in a sidebar. But yesterday, when I went on YouTube, it showed me videos from a popular channel "we think you'll like." This is not a new feature I care for.

Gmail
Old addresses:Once an address has been used, you can't use it again. I get that Google doesn't want to release emails that might still be used, but what about ones that the owner deleted? I heard that Yahoo! now lets addresses that haven't been used in a year become available again. There would be problems if the last person to use that name was a troll or a bully, but otherwise it sounds like a good idea to me.

Blogger
Google+ sharing:Prescheduled posts won't be automatically shared on Google+, which is a bit of a pain.
Profile views:Before I switched to Google+, I used a Blogger account. Whenever I checked it out, it would count it as a profile view. It would be nice if you could have a "Don't track your own views" option like with your blogs.
Blogger Buzz:This is the equivalent of Popular on YouTube. You can't remove it from your feed.

If you agreed with this post, share it so the people at Google will see it. There's no guarantee they'll listen, but hey, we tried. And go ahead and add more problems with Google stuff in the comments.

© 2014 by M.R.R.

4 comments:

Donna Smith said...

There are always problems with everything. This should make for plenty to write about from A to Z!
My main complaint with Gmail right now, is that it has randomly begun to put things in SPAM or IMPORTANT files when they don't belong there and I haven't changed any of my settings. Then it stops doing that for a while, like..."no, I'm not!"...and then starts up again. Sigh.
Donna Smith
The A-to-Z Challenge
http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com
Mainely Write

Teresa Powell Coltrin said...

I do like Google, but I don't like any of keeping track of what I prefer.

M.R. R. said...

On the bright side of things, I don't have to view comments on YouTube if I don't want to. Thanks, Google.

Maria Dunn said...

I do agree. Mostly I just wish it was a little simpler. Have to work to hard to sort through what I want to know. Enjoy, Maria from Delight Directed Living