Project Wonderful ad

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Things You Should Know About Introverts

Introverts unite! Many of these things have already been said, but they bear repeating. Here are things I'd like people to realize about introversion and shyness (yes, I know the two aren't the same thing, but in my case they tend to overlap). In case you're wondering, a few are directed at people I know.

I prefer being in small groups. Three or four people is enough for me. Six or seven is the maximum I can handle at one time.

Being quiet and not smiling doesn't mean I'm upset. It could mean I'm just thinking. Do not assume I should automatically smile whenever I'm out in public.

Small talk doesn't come naturally. If you try to engage me in conversation when I have nothing to say, it's going to be awkward.

Stop telling me "You can be social." Repeating this over and over is not encouraging me to be more social.

If I'd rather spend the evening alone, this doesn't necessarily mean something's wrong. Often, it just means staying home watching a movie or reading blogs sounds more fun to me than going out.

Large crowds (and noise) stress me out. The difference between an extrovert and an introvert is the way they recharge when they feel drained. An extrovert will seek out other people, while an introvert finds interacting with too many people for too long stressful. Ergo, I would prefer solitude to feel better as opposed to socializing.

Introversion is not a problem to be solved. It is a state of being.

What else needs to be said about introversion?

© 2014 by M.R.R.

6 comments:

Stephanie K said...

Being an introvert and being shy do overlap a lot, as you said happens to you. I enjoy being with my friends, but after a certain point, I'm ready to just be alone and do my own thing, without a crowd's approval required. At that point, four or more people is a crowd. lol

Great post!

Moonie said...

You make great points. The one I like the most is that an introvert doesn't like to make small talk. While extroverts are working the crowd the introvert is discovering neat things about one or two people. In my case I always tend to gravitate toward hurting people.
Different types of people make the world more enjoyable (and less loud).

Happy A to Zing
moondustwriter

M.R. R. said...

@ Stephanie K
That sums it up. I enjoy spending time with friends, but I do need my alone time.

@ Moonie
Yes they do. The world could stand to be a little quieter.

Chrys Fey said...

This is very true. When I was younger I thought I was just painfully shy, but it's clear that I'm really introverted. I like to see my friends, but once they want me to go to a party or be a part of a big group (even just one other person) I clam up. And I can never start up a conversation with people I don't really know even if I think of something to say. It really is hard . . .

Thank you so much for this post!

M.R. R. said...

@ Chrys Fey
Yeah, it is hard.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Great post! I can totally relate to the points you've made. I wish more people would realize there's nothing wrong with being quiet, with not wanting to be out in the crowd etc.

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge