Project Wonderful ad

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Thinking About Mortality

Everyone dies, you know. There's no discrimination. People of all ages, religions, ethnicities, genders, cultures, lifestyles, and diets have equal odds of kicking the bucket someday. You can't stop it from happening. And once it does, you can't undo it. It's permanent.

Let's assume you're young and in good health. That still leaves the possibility of an accident, murder, an aneurysm, or catching a deadly disease. The truth is you have no way of knowing if you'll live another 20 years or drop dead tomorrow. In fact, as you read this, you're closer to your death than you were ten seconds ago.

The fact is someday I'm going to die and there is nothing I can do to prevent that. This thought both depresses and comforts me. It's depressing because my time is limited, comforting because it means I won't have to deal with society's crap forever. I've got relatives who are at the point that they don't have many more years. I know this, I realize this, but it will still kill me when it actually happens.

We talk about everything like it's going to kill us. But consider that every generation engaged in behavior and diets that were unhealthy. I think we're probably one of the healthier (or at least hygienic) times in history. Besides, how much do we actually know? Stuff we thought was healthy a generation or so back turned out to be poison.

I have a basic idea of life after death. I believe in souls, heaven, and hell. But I'm fuzzy on the journey you make there. Do you sleep for a while, then wake up to go? If so, then for how long? Do you journey from where you died, or are you already there as soon as you're dead? How soon is it before you know you're no longer one of the living? You can't exactly ask someone who has experienced it. So I guess I'll have to find out for myself.


© 2014 by M.R.R.

No comments: