Project Wonderful ad

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Introvert Rage

About three quarters of the population is extroverted. Three quarters, people. And where does that leave us introverts? In my case, frustrated with my friends and family.

When it comes to socializing, I prefer to go out for an activity (like Bible study or self-defense class) and slowly get to know the other people there. I can focus on the task at hand, and we can occasionally talk and learn things about each other. That works for me. Overall, I am not the kind of person who can dive right into any social kind of situation.
Image credit:Anders Sandberg's Flickr
I've got to slowly wade my way through the shallow end until I get used to it. And apparently, there's something wrong with that.

It's hard to say what's worse:Making awkward small talk with a stranger, or hanging back and listening to my annoying friends saying things like "You can be more social" or "My friends don't bite". You have seen me around other people, right? Telling me I can be more social is like telling a fat person they look pudgy. I am well aware of it, thank you very much. Your reminders are not actually doing anything besides making me hate you.

Image credit:Michelle Loves Severus' Flickr

And do you know what makes it worse? The people I know who say this kind of crap aren't just extroverts who don't really understand why I'm less social, but my introvert friends who ought to know better. Really? You should know exactly why I don't want to jump right into this situation and instead of understanding and actually doing something helpful or just leaving me be, you're just going to say ridiculous stuff that doesn't help one bit? What is wrong with you?

Thank the Lord for peaceful nights alone.


© 2014 by M.R.R.

No comments: