Project Wonderful ad

Friday, January 30, 2015

Album Review For We Walk The Line:A Celebration Of The Music Of Johnny Cash

Genres:Country, folk

Notes:Album art taken from Amazon.

General thoughts:As I've said before, it's difficult to listen to country music and not eventually encounter a Johnny Cash song. He is just one of those artists that is huge in his particular genre. So how does this tribute measure up?

Many of the lyrics are half-screamed, which doesn't really work for the style of music. Others are just drawled without any real emotion behind them. Most of the artists here just don't do it justice. They fail to really make the songs their own. And given the bad quality of the the music on the CD, I didn't even bother with the DVD.


Overall, it's a mess and I don't recommend it.

Track Listing

1. Folsom Prison Blues by Brandi Carlile
Thoughts:I sort of liked this at first, but the delivery kind of killed it for me.
2. Ring of Fire by Ronnie Dunn
Thoughts:The music sounds a little off to me, and the vocals aren't exactly inspiring. Meh.
3. Hey Porter by Buddy Miller
Thoughts:See above.
4. Hurt by Lucinda Williams
Thoughts:After being disappointed by the first few songs, I was kind of looking forward to this one. And then the singing started. It doesn't sound pained or upset, it sounds like someone reading a script. Not good at all.
5. Wreck Of The Old 97 by Rhett Miller
Thoughts:This one's actually not that bad. The singer sounds a little excited.
6. Jackson by Carolina Chocolate Drops
Thoughts:I wasn't that into the original song, so this didn't particularly excite or disappoint me.
7. The Long Black Veil by Iron & Wine
Thoughts:This one's okay.
8. Big River by Kris Kristofferson
Thoughts:Nope.
9. Why Me Lord by Shelby Lynne
Thoughts:This started out okay, but soon veered into bad.
10. Help Me Make It Through The Night by Pat Monahan
Thoughts:I hadn't heard the original version of this, but it wasn't that bad.
11. It Ain't Me Babe by Pat Monahan and Shelby Lynne
Thoughts:Decent.
12. Sunday Morning Coming Down by Jamey Johnson and Kris Kristofferson
Thoughts:No. Just no.
13. Get Rhythm by Andy Grammer
Thoughts:This one sounded like something out of The Lion King. I didn't really like the original song, but this cover I kind of did.
14. Cocaine Blues by Shooter Jennings
Thoughts:I'm indifferent to this one.
15. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry by Amy Lee
Thoughts:Amy Lee's certainly no stranger to a little musical misery. This track is okay, but I would have loved to hear her sing "Hurt".
16. Cry, Cry, Cry by Sheryl Crow
Thoughts:This rates as mediocre.
17. I Still Miss Someone by Willie Nelson
Thoughts:This one's okay.
18. If I Were A Carpenter by Willie Nelson and Sheryl Crow
Thoughts:So is this.
19. Highwayman by Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Shooter Jennings, and Jamey Johnson
Thoughts:And this.
20. I Walk The Line by the full ensemble
Thoughts:Nothing to get excited about.


DVD Bonus features

"I Still Miss Someone" rehearsal performance by Willie Nelson
"The Man Comes Around" performed by Matthew MCcConaughey
Johnny Cash, His Life, And Music - Artist interviews
Walking the Line:The Making of a Celebration


Content warnings:A few songs reference drugs, booze, violent deaths, and sex (some of it adultery). Others contain mild language (i.e. bas**rd).


So what did you think? Did you enjoy it? Or will you walk away?


© 2015 by M.R.R.

No comments: