Project Wonderful ad

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Why I Don't Watch Any Awards Ceremonies

Image source:Open Clipart

Whether it's the Oscars, the Grammys, the Emmys (how do you spell those?), I don't watch it. I understand why it's great for the creators to get something that says "we like what you do", and if you've gotten one, I'm happy for you as long as you don't let it go to your head. But I prefer not to watch the actual ceremonies because....

  • I just don't care. It doesn't matter to me if you got an award as long as you can entertain me. If you can, then I'm happy. That is all.
  • Watching the movie sounds more entertaining. If the movie is so good it's getting awards, wouldn't I be better off watching that instead?
  • I won't set myself up for disappointment. Every single time, you never fail to hear "Why didn't this get nominated?" or "Why did they pick this movie instead of that one?" Most of the movies I really like aren't exactly high art anyway.
  • It often ends in a discussion about clothing and controversy. How much of the aftermath not about the movies or the music, but who did and wore what?

Where do you stand on awards ceremonies?

© 2015 by M.R.R.

2 comments:

Shannon Lawrence said...

I realized I watch the Oscars more because it's a familiar thing from my childhood (we used to watch it as a family, as we were a movie family--I grew up in a movie theater where my mom worked). But I don't pay much attention, and since I rarely get to movies in theaters, I usually haven't even seen the movies up for awards. It used to be that I'd seen them all. If I get back to that, I think the shine might return, but until then, meh.

M.R. R. said...

@ Shannon Lawrence
I don't make it to the theater much either, and it's sometimes months or even years before I ever get around to actually watching the movies they're talking about.