Project Wonderful ad

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Why I Don't Prefer Romance Stories

Image credit:Daniel Oine's Flickr


Once in a while, I go a story where the big conflict involves a relationship's life or death. But I typically prefer something focused more on action or general drama. Here's why


  • Lower stakes:Whether or not the big couple stay together doesn't concern me the way a conspiracy, psychopath, or disaster might.
  • All the crappy clichés:Admittedly, this is a problem no matter what the genre. But it seems to be especially bad with romance.
  • Not as much escapism:One of the major reasons I love fiction is the escapist nature of it. It tends to work better for me when the main characters are hunting a killer or surviving the unspeakable, rather than figuring out they belong together.
  • So much contrived drama:How often could fictional (and some real life) couples avoid conflict by actually having conversations about what they're doing and what they want?

What would you add to the list?


© 2015 by M.R.R.

No comments: