Project Wonderful ad

Wednesday, March 04, 2015

IWSG:March 2015


Ever had an idea, maybe a great idea, but once you actually get to writing it down, you can't get anywhere with it? What then? Do you back off for a while? Keep working on it?

Or maybe you want to say something about a particular issue, but are having trouble finding the specifics. One issue leads to a larger one, and eventually, you aren't sure what you're going to address. Do you stick with the smaller issue? Get down to the basics about the big one?

What do you do and have you done when that happens?

And just so you know, all you people over at Insecure Writer Support Group are awesome and thanks for having me.


© 2015 by M.R.R.

10 comments:

Loni Townsend said...

:) I usually jot down scenes with regards to ideas. They may get thrown out, or changed, or actually used. But I've never fretted over them going nowhere.

I hope your ideas go somewhere!

Pat Hatt said...

I usually just go with it, as something almost always comes out of it. One word can set me off and away I go.

M.R. R. said...

@ Loni Townsend
Thanks.

@Pat Hatt
Sometimes it can take a while.

Suzanne Sapsed said...

I brain storm and have post-it type notes everywhere. Then it'll be there to develop if I ever need to :)
Suzanne
Co-host for March :)

M.R. R. said...

@ Suzanne Sapsed
I should probably take more notes.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I usually just let the idea or the scene go where it wants to. Sometimes it develops into something bigger and better, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it stalls but if I feel like there's potential, I put it away for awhile, return to it in the future.

authorcgcoppola.com said...

Just start writing. Sometimes it helps not to focus on "this is will in the book/ the final book" but to focus on learning about what your book is about. A lot of the early writing is discovery, for me at least. Good luck!

M.R. R. said...

@ Madeline Mora-Summonte
I should let it rest, but I get impatient.

@ authorcgcoppola
Thanks.

Toinette Thomas said...

First off, I really like your description below this post.
Second, when this happens, try to write down words that stand out about the issue or idea. Just one word at a time or on a line, making a list of words under the heading of the issue or idea. The words can be anything: emotions and feelings pertaining to it, key words, explainations, etc... When I've run out of words, I walk away from it and then come back later.
An odd approach I know, but that's what I do. Great question.

M.R. R. said...

@ Toinette Thomas
That suggestion seems to be the general consensus. Thanks for stopping by.