Project Wonderful ad

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Fiction & Fantasy

Some people drown their sorrows in alcohol. I drown mine with fiction.

One part of it is distraction. I'm not thinking of everything going wrong in my life or the world at large if I'm focusing on a story. Another part of it is comparisons. On one side, there's the world that's way better than ours. The heroes are attractive, evil never wins the war, things turn out well in the end. There's also the opposite where everything is worse. Paying the bills doesn't seem as important compared to keeping monsters from eating you. And really, your life isn't so bad compared to characters struggling to hang onto their lives and sanity.

But sooner or later, you have to come back to reality and face whatever it was you were avoiding.

© 2015 by M.R.R.

10 comments:

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

I read on my breaks at work. It lets me escape totally, fifteen minutes at a time and really feel I've had a break.
Life & Faith in Caneyhead
I am Ensign B ~ One of Tremp's Troops with the
A to Z Challenge

Stephen Tremp said...

I like a little wine with my reading. I usually fall asleep long before I have a chance to be schnockered.

Nilanjana Bose said...

Hello,

Here from the A-Z. and I drown my sorrows, joys, pretty much everything in fiction/books. Great choice for F!

All the best for the rest of the challenge,
Nilanjana

M.R. R. said...

@ Barbara In Caneyhead
Even a few minutes can do it.

@ Stephen Tremp
I've got a friend who tends to fall asleep when reading or watching something, usually while she's sober.

@ Nilanjana Bose
Thanks.

Diana Wilder said...

I think stories, meaning both those we tell, ourselves, and those we read, tap into an underlying reality. That is, we all face monsters, no matter how they are disguised (nasty bosses, injuries, estrangement from loved ones, an economy that has gone haywire) and stories of such give us the feeling that we are not alone, that we can fight, and even if we don't win the battle, there's a good chance of winning the war. Good post!

M.R. R. said...

@ Diana Wilder
Thanks.

lillian888 said...

You're absolutely right. For me fiction is how I run away from home inside my own head. Writing it or reading it, I get away from the pressures and stresses I live with. I love to travel and I can't do that much anymore, so I take a trip inside a story!

Happy A to Z!

M.R. R. said...

@ lillian888
So much of it is escapism.

lorilmaclaughlin.com said...

That's one of the main reasons I write — escapism.

M.R. R. said...

@ lorilmaclaughlin.com
Yep.