Project Wonderful ad

Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Guilty Pleasures

These are the things I love that make a part of my brain go "Why do you like this?" or "This is bad for you, you know that?" But it doesn't seem that I'll be letting go of any of these for a long while.


Demi Lovato
Image source:iTunes

If we're being honest, her music isn't different from the other ten dozen mainstream pop artists on the radio. But there's just something in it I'm drawn to. It just might be that she avoids the controversy that most ex-Disney stars seem to revel in. Whatever the case, please give me more.

Soda and other junk food
Image source:Open Clipart

At the rate I drink this, I'm probably taking years off my life.



Stories with rape/stalking/otherwise non-consensual themes
Image credit:daniellehelm

This is the only thing on this list that makes me feel like a horrible person. I know that it's not fun, pleasant, or sexy to be stalked, harassed, or raped (in fact, I'm afraid of them), but I've got a fascination with them nonetheless.

© 2015 by M.R.R.

8 comments:

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

If I've heard her music, I didn't realize it. I drink a lot of soda too. Recently made myself start drinking water most of the day at work. Apparently lots of people are fascinated with such a theme as it is in so many books and TV shows.

M.R. R. said...

@ Barbara In Caneyhead
She did a song for Frozen, and had a couple of other hits on the radio.
At my house, we've been going off soda for this week. I'll probably go right back to my old habits.
It would explain why Law & Order:Special Victims Unit has been airing for more than 15 years now.

Noah Dietz said...

Any time I hear "guilty pleasure" I usually just think of my favorite types of guilty pleasure music. Kudos for surprising me.

M.R. R. said...

@ Noah Dietz
I have just the one singer.

TheCyborgMom said...

My guilty pleasure...reality TV...in pretty much any form! I'm a reality TV addict :)
TheCyborgMom

M.R. R. said...

@ TheCyborgMom
Mostly, I go for the game-and-competition shows.

Michelle said...

I've enjoyed what I've heard of Demi Lovato. I like her voice.

I understand the rape-story fascination; I can't explain it, but I have the same issue. Sometimes I have wondered if in my case it had to do with being raised in an environment where sex was extremely taboo, so for me non-consensual situations were a 'safe' fantasy - one where the victim wasn't guilty of any sin, but still got to experience sex. Not a healthy mindset, I warrant, but there it is. As I've gotten older and gained a better understanding of how violent acts of that variety aren't about sex or love but about power and humiliation, I've backed away from it a bit, but the fascination is still there.

M.R. R. said...

@ Michelle
I've wondered the same thing occasionally. But I can't really explain the fascination in my case.