Project Wonderful ad

Monday, April 13, 2015

Kicking Butt In Krav Maga

You ever hear of krav maga?

Wikipedia calls it "a self-defense system developed for the military in Israel that consists of a wide combination of techniques sourced from Aikido, Boxing, Judo and Wrestling along with realistic fight training"

It doesn't require precision, just whatever works to stop the attacker and avoid getting yourself too badly hurt. It also doesn't take years of training before you can actually fight, which is a definite bonus.

After more than a year of taking a class, I've learned how to get out of about a dozen different kind of choke holds, what to do if someone grabs my wrist, how to reduce injury from falls, and where besides the groin you can hit to end a fight. It's also the most exercise I get all week (which with my junk food addiction, I need).

So what, if any, martial arts or self-defense classes do you take?


© 2015 by M.R.R.

6 comments:

TheCyborgMom said...

I wish I was healthy enough to take a martial arts class. I think it would be awesome and powerful to know that I could defend myself with my bare hands! RAWR!! :)
TheCyborgMom

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Does a shotgun and a box of shells count? I didn't know what this was called, but I have heard of it. Proud of you for learning!

Stephen Tremp said...

This is the first time I've heard of Krav Maga. I'll dyop bu YouTube for a few videos.

Stephen Tremp
A to Z Cohost
Twitter: @StephenTremp

M.R. R. said...

@ TheCyborgMom
It's too bad you can't take one.

@ Barbara In Caneyhead
Thanks. And we will count the shotgun.

@ Stephen Tremp
Ought to be interesting.

lorilmaclaughlin.com said...

I've never heard of Krav Maga. It sounds like a great program. A few years back I took a Kempo karate class that focused on self-defense. I like the idea of being able to protect myself. I had to stop taking it because of some health and money issues, but my goal is to get back into it at some point.

M.R. R. said...

@ Lori L MacLaughlin
Good luck.